Main Article Content
On 2nd November 2012 Myanmar has enacted new Foreign Investment Law to promote foreign investor. This is a source of this article aimed to comparatively study on new Myanmar Foreign Investment Law and Thailand Investment Promotion Act B.E. 2520 and amended. Main issues of comparison are tax incentives, non-tax incentives, and issue of guarantees and protection. It is found that Myanmar and Thailand have similar and different characters in incentives and guarantees where both countries have different outstanding in some issues. Myanmar has its outstanding on tax incentives which are coverage all kinds of income taxes, import duty, internal taxed related to import, and commercial tax. In addition, she has also better outstanding in non-tax incentive in terms of financial incentive where foreign investor can be registered by using foreign currency as foreign capital. For Thailand, on the other hands, has its better on non-tax incentive in terms of land ownership for foreigner. Moreover, Thailand is also better on investment guarantees where there is no commercial competition with permitted investors as well as no price control and export control on products produced by permitted investors.
MFU Connexion: Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences has an exclusive right to publish the accepted articles in any form. However, the author retains the following rights:
1. The right to the ownership of the article;
2. The right to use all or part of the article in his/her other works;
3. The right to re-produce the article for personal use or for use in the author’s organisation, in which case the author must obtain permission from MFU Connexion: Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences;
4. The right to make copies of all or part of the work for educational use or for the author’s use in classroom teaching; and
5. The right to include the work (both the preprinted and printed versions) in an institutional repository.
สำนักงานคณะกรรมการส่งเสริมการลงทุน. (2554) คู่มือการขอรับการส่งเสริมการลงทุน 2554, กรุงเทพฯ: สำนักงานฯ.
Directorate of Investment and Company Administration. (n.d.) The Foreign Investment Law (The Pyidaungsu Hluttaw Law No. 21/2012) (2nd November, 2012), Available: https://www.dica.gov.mm/includes/NEWFIL(English).pdf [14 December 2012]